- Hilton Price Number
- Object Type
- Soft furnishings/textiles, Tapestry
- Graeco-Roman Period to Byzantine Period
- First century CE/AD to Sixth century CE/AD
- Fibre/textile (from plants and animals) (Flax) | Textile/fibres (Wool)
- Egypt, Akhmim
- 30 inches | 15 inches
- Number of Elements
Piece of rough towel material, of woven tapestry, with a strip of purple wool embroidery up the centre; the sides of it are composed of rough flax. Has been patched up on the back: many of these textiles have been patched and darned, proving that the people of this period were interred in their ordinary garments. 30 in. | 15 in. Egypto-Roman, 1st to 6th century a.d. Aḥmîm.
Price, Frederick George Hilton (1897) A catalogue of the Egyptian antiquities in the possession of F. G. Hilton Price. London: Quaritch. Anonymous (1911). Catalogue of the important and extensive collection of Egyptian antiquities, the property of the late F. G. Hilton-Price, Esq. [...] : which will be sold by auction by Sotheby, Wilkinson & Hodge [...] on Wednesday, 12th July, 1911, and two following days, and on Monday, the 17th of July, and four following days. London: Davy.
- Former Owner
- Frederick George Hilton Price (1842–1909)
- Last modified: 05 Mar 2023